Pounding hooves, snorting show horses and the crack of whips; the Lázár Equestrian Park north of Budapest gets the adrenaline pumping, all from the safety of your shade-covered bench on its dirt oval.
Eleven years’ running, the nine-hectare tourist attraction is also the team home of the horsedriving world champion Lázár brothers (Vilmos and Zoltán) and their stable of horses.
Upon arriving at the park, guests are greeted with their choice of pálinka (or ice water for the wise) and fresh baked goods. You are given a brief overview of the park, followed by a 45-minute equestrian show. The viewing area features ground-level tiered benches right at the edge of the track. The show starts with a four-horse chariot racing up and pulling a U-turn in front of spectators, kicking up dirt from the track. It sent fashion-conscious Italians next to us scurrying back to the second row. The park’s PR man tells us that most guests are foreign. The show we attended was translated into English, German and Italian. You must book ahead.
The Horse Show programme
– Four hand drive, pony driven carriage;
– Display of nomad warrior archery – archery and spear throwing on horseback;
– Skills of the horsemen – making the horse lie down, cracking the whip, competition between the horsemen;
– Competition involving guests (knocking over a bottle of wine with a whip);
– Cart pulled by four oxen;
– Display by trained donkey;
– Puszta-five (rider atop five horses);
– Horse display of Sissi (Queen Elizabeth) sitting side-saddle.
Lázár Equestrian Park
2182 Domonyvölgy, Fenyõ utca 47.
By car: About 30 minutes from downtown Budapest. On exiting the M3 motorway at the Aszód-Bag-Tura exit, turn left at the stop sign, then after 500 metres turn left onto Road 3 towards Budapest (watch for the “Lázár Lovaspark” sign). After about 5 km turn right at the Domonyvölgy exit. This road leads to the Lázár Equestrian Park. (Our GPS did not list Domonvölgy. We suggest taking driving directions).
Tel.:(+36) 28 576-510